Day 61 (TF3) & Day 6 (TF4) - February 21, 2015

Today was yet another productive day at the hangar!  On TF3, we worked on many fine tunings and adjustments.  These tasks involved re-routing hoses on the engine, checking the screws in the empennage fairing, bleeding the brakes, and bending the stall warning switch arm.  The hoses on the engine needed to be re-routed due to interference with other hoses to prevent chafing. 

During the bleeding of the brakes, the goal was to remove air bubbles in the brake lines by compressing the air and moving them out through the fluid reservoir.  We had to bend the stall warning switch to ensure that the switch activates when the vane is moved up so the warning will be accurate. 
It was an exciting day for TF4 as they started to work on the actual airplane.  First, the entire fuselage kit was inventoried to ensure that all of the parts that were included in the kit were there. 
Then, the students were divided equally into four different groups working on different sections of the airplane.  Tasks that were being worked on today included firewall work, work on the main bulkhead and details in the rudder pedal area.   

Tune in next week for more TF3 and TF4 progress!  

Day 60 (TF3) & Day 5 (TF4) - February 14, 2015

It was a noisy day at the hangar.  As for TF3, we rolled the plane out and started the engine.  We performed tests including flaperon clearance, stabilator tuning, and the balancing of the carburetors.  Overall, the tests went smoothly and the carburetors were balanced, creating the necessary same fuel- to-air mixture.  The wings were installed to the fuselage and they still fit great. 

Inside the hangar, the TF4 students kept progressing toward completing their toolboxes.  Most of the students had the chance to work with a new tool called the "C Frame" which can be used to dimple and rivet using taps from a hammer.

Most of the students finished their toolboxes after more deburring, riveting, drilling, and dimpling.  This is an example of a completed toolbox.  Nice job! 

Tune in for more progress next week.  See you then. 

Day 59 (TF3) & Day 4 (TF4) - February 7, 2015

Today at the hangar, we underwent tests on TF3 and more toolbox construction on TF4. 
On the toolbox, the students are close to finishing.  We worked on more deburring, riveting, drilling, dimpling, as well as some layout work for the complicated hinge components.  The hinge involved switching of the parts, cutting, and alignment.  Some students made it to bending the toolbox handle and installing the latch.  In those steps it is very crucial for proper alignment, otherwise the toolbox will not close properly.  

As for TF3, the static system, used for showing altitude by measuring air pressure, was tested for any leaks and accuracy.  We used a syringe and putty to create a vacuum by decreasing air pressure to simulate around 1,000 feet in altitude.  A decrease in pressure indicates an increased altitude reading.The test involved analyzing the amount of time this system could hold this altitude.  
We also performed a similar test on the pitot tube, a tube used for measuring airspeed.  Unlike the static system, an increase in pressure increases the airspeed reading.  We used a tube connected to the syringe to increase the air pressure until the pitot system shows 130 knots.  We also had to check for leaks and examine how well this airspeed could be held. 
Most of the exterior of TF3 was cleaned with alcohol to remove the pen and plastic marks.  The interior upholstery is very close to being finished with the nice, grey seats.  
Next week is sure to be even more exciting with the possibility of starting the Teen Flight 4 RV-12! 

Day 58 (TF3) & Day 3 (TF4) - January 31, 2015

This Saturday, TF3 & TF4 continued to accomplish many tasks. 
TF4 completed the OP-51 project.  In order to finish, the students had to rivet three different kinds of rivets, dimple and countersink a few holes and install nut plates.  This took about half of the class period and then the students dove into the toolbox project which involved a lot of deburring.  Most students made it to the point of match-drilling holes for the rivets and some of the students even installed the hinge for the lid.

As for TF3, we have been working on the fitting of the engine cowling due to interference with the engine.  We made a lot of progress.  We are also close to finishing the installation of the interior upholstery and carpet which is looking great.   

Stay tuned for next week as TF3 keeps progressing toward the finish and as the TF4 toolboxes near completion.